About Me

My Photo
Jessica Jewett
I'm an author, artist and spiritual intuitive. My professional name is Jessica Jewett, which is taken from my maternal family line and to honor the other author in my family, Sarah Orne Jewett. I have published a Civil War novel and several short stories and articles. I'm deeply involved in paranormal and reincarnation research as well.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, April 14, 2011

For the reenactress! A matter of hair

One of the most common issues with women trying to accurately enter the reenacting world is the lack of proper hair. Let's face it, our foremothers were rockin' runway hair long before there was a runway. Hair that long simply isn't practical in this modern age in which we don't have servants to maintain our coif. So, unfortunately, period correct portrayals often suffer in this area for women today.

Some reenactor sutler companies sell rather sorry looking hair pieces to try and add ready-made buns, length or sausage curls, but they can be spotted from a mile away. They remind tourists that they are looking at make believe rather than feeling immersed in the reenactment or living history. Throughout history, hair has been considered "a woman's crowning glory" which is why they kept it so long. In my opinion, if a reenactress wishes to put her best portrayal out there, she needs to consider all aspects of the nineteenth century woman, not just which dress looks the prettiest. You can have the best, most accurate dress out there, but if you're walking around in a little bob or some other overly sculpted hairstyle, you will always remind tourists that you're just acting. I believe the best portrayals make the tourist believe you fell out of the 1860s. They are more apt to pay attention to what you can teach them.

Today my friend in London was raving about her new hair extensions. I never wanted to try hair extensions before because I don't like the idea of a hair dresser sewing fake hair to my existing hair or using glue or attaching with tracks on my scalp. It all sounded like torture. She posted the how-to video and I watched it in awe at how easy it is and how real it looks. My mind immediately went to reenacting and how these extensions could be used to give ladies instant long hair for their event that can be curled or straight because it is all real hair. If you reenact a lot, it might be worth investing in these extensions. I believe they will greatly improve the quality of your portrayal. They run between $90 and $120, which sounds a bit pricey, but going to the salon to have it done costs a lot more. Some women spend hundreds of dollars on extensions. I believe this is an option worth considering. I'm definitely going to save up my money.

Watch the how-to video.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What lovely, fabulous hair the lady in the top picture has! Love it :)

Sparrow said...

Thanks for bringing this up. Modern hair on reenactors is a pet peeve of mine. I sympathize that it is impossible to disguise most modern hairstyles as looking completely authentic, but there usually is some way to bring it more in line with how hair was actually worn back then, even if it is just to part your hair in the middle. So many of them don't make an effort at all or say things like "there are TONS of CW era photographs of women with bangs." (?!!) Even if they are right about the latter, I have yet to see one in years of research. That would make it the exception, not something that a high percentage of reenactors should feel comfortable wearing if they want to present an authentic portrayal as a group. That would be like future reenactors doing the 1980s and half of them showing up in spiked neon green mohawks.