About Me

My Photo
Jessica Jewett
I'm an author, artist and spiritual intuitive. My professional name is Jessica Jewett, which is taken from my maternal family line and to honor the other author in my family, Sarah Orne Jewett. I have published a Civil War novel and several short stories and articles. I'm deeply involved in paranormal and reincarnation research as well.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Did you know...?

The "delicate" lady’s place in fashion probably lead in many ways to the Victorian woman’s high death rate. As a healthy appetite, labor, exercise, and spending a lot of time outdoors was considered manly, women didn’t eat a lot, hardly ever got good exercise, and spent a lot of time indoors, where the air was stagnant and germs ran amok. The working men got the best food and meat, and the women in the family looked after the sick, who coughed in their faces all day. Many of the middle and upper class women suffered from "Green Sickness", which describes the skin of an anemic person. This was due to the lack of iron in people's foods.

Source: http://robertwhite.wordpress.com/2009/12/13/random-facts-about-the-victorian-era/

0 comments: