About Me

My Photo
Jessica Jewett
I'm an author, artist and spiritual intuitive. My professional name is Jessica Jewett, which is taken from my maternal family line and to honor the other author in my family, Sarah Orne Jewett. I have published a Civil War novel and several short stories and articles. I'm deeply involved in paranormal and reincarnation research as well.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, May 4, 2011

For the reenactress! Chignon tutorial

Not enough female reenactors pay attention to their hair, so it is my goal to find ways to teach women to do their hair in a suitable manner. I have found a video on YouTube that teaches women how to do their hair in a chignon. This style was often used in the nineteenth century, more often after the Civil War as the bulk of the hair crept up the back of the head.

If you do not have long hair, consider using clip on extensions like the clip on extensions in this blog. Read that blog to understand why hair is very important in portraying nineteenth century women and why it should not be ignored in reenacting today.

Please remember that if you are doing your hair for the early 1860s, there are a few standards that should be employed no matter what style you use.

1. Always part the hair down the middle.
2. Always keep the bulk of the hair at the nape of the neck.
3. For early 1860s, cover the ears with the hair.
4. From 1864 onward, tuck the hair behind the ears.
5. NO BANGS DURING THE CIVIL WAR!

Here is a video that shows how to do a relatively easy chignon. Remember to keep it on the nape of your neck, part it down the middle first and use hairspray or something to smooth your bangs in with the rest of your hair.



0 comments: