About Me

My Photo
Jessica Jewett
I'm an author, artist and spiritual intuitive. My professional name is Jessica Jewett, which is taken from my maternal family line and to honor the other author in my family, Sarah Orne Jewett. I have published a Civil War novel and several short stories and articles. I'm deeply involved in paranormal and reincarnation research as well.
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Did you know...?

Did you know that Fanny Chamberlain's step-uncle was George F. Root, a popular composer and songwriter in the nineteenth century?

In the 1850s, Fanny's adoptive father (biologically her cousin) surprised everyone in their family by taking a second wife. His new bride was Helen Root, a young woman only a few months older than Fanny, yet she had to get along with her as her new stepdaughter. Miss Root's older brother was George Root.

From Wikipedia:

He became particularly successful during the American Civil War, as the composer of martial songs such as Tramp! Tramp! Tramp! (The Prisoner's Hope), Just before the Battle, Mother, and The Battle Cry of Freedom. He wrote the first song concerning the war, The First Gun is Fired, only two days after the conflict began with the bombardment of Fort Sumter. He ultimately had at least 35 war-time "hits", ranging in tone from the bellicose to the ethereal. His songs were played and sung at both the home front and the real front. Tramp, Tramp, Tramp became popular on troop marches, and Battle Cry of Freedom became well-known even in England.

0 comments: